Leaving Care Info

If you are leaving or have left out-of-home care in Victoria, there is plenty of help available to you. Below is a sample of the many free services you can reach out to.

Leaving Care Helpline

If you’re aged 16 to 21 years and have left out-of-home care in Victoria, Melbourne City Mission operates a leaving care enquiry telephone and email service for the DHHS. You can call their Leaving Care Hotline to speak to someone for advice, for a referral to local support services, or just a friendly chat. Some of the issues they can help you with include:

• Wanting to stay in education or return to studying.
• Needing help to look for a job, or apply for on the job training.
• Needing help or advice to keep a current job.
• Needing help to find accommodation or stay in existing accommodation.
• Wanting support to re-connect with family.
• Needing some financial help to maintain independence, if you’ve already left care.

Leaving Care Hotline: 1300 532 846  

You can also email: leavingcare@mcm.org.au
10 am to 8 pm weekdays and 10 am to 6 pm on weekends and public holidays.

DHHS Leaving Care Services


Leaving Care has a range of services and supports that can assist young people aged 16 to 21 years of age to transition from out-of-home care. You can find out more, and see what  Leaving Care programs might be available to young people leaving care, on the DHHS leaving care webpage at https://services.dhhs.vic.gov.au/leaving-care

CREATE Foundation

CREATE Foundation: Create your future
The Create Foundation’s CREATE Your Future is a life skills program designed to assist young people in the transition to independence from out-of-home care. The program is designed to develop confidence and stretch comfort zones, helping you to learn new skills or try new things in a in a safe environment.

To get involved, give your local state or territory office a call by phoning 1800 655 105 or email clubCREATE@create.org.au

Youth Affairs Council of Victoria

The Youth Affairs Council of Victoria is an independent, not-for-profit organisation, and the leading policy advocate on young people’s issues in Victoria. Its vision is for a Victorian community that values and provides opportunity, participation, justice and equity for all young people.

Become a member here, and receive their fortnightly email bulletin, Announce, which lists upcoming events, jobs, forums, training and opportunities for and around the youth sector.

Youth Support + Advocacy Service

YSAS: Seeing youth in a different light
Youth Support + Advocacy Service is a not-for-profit agency that enables highly vulnerable and high-risk young people with substance dependence and misuse issues, mental illness and social disconnection to take control of their health and wellbeing.

Telephone: 1800 014 446 (24 hours)

Click here for more information about YSAS.


The YouthCentral website offers a range of helpful information and advice on issues like jobs, study, travel, money and events in your local area – wherever you live in Victoria – while also offering opportunities for you to participate.

Click here for more information about YouthCentral.


Springboard is an intensive support service for young people transitioning from residential out-of-home care who are not engaged in education, training or employment.

Click here for more information about Springboard.

Support for young Aboriginal people

The ‘Transitioning from Out-of-home care: Support for Aboriginal young people’ initiative aims to provide a model of culturally appropriate support for Aboriginal young people transitioning to independence/interdependence from out-of-home care, including kinship care from 16 to 21 years of age.

Click here for more information about support for Aboriginal young people.

Transition Allowance

The Transition to Independent Living Allowance (the allowance) is one-off practical support from the Australian Government to assist some young people who are making the transition from formal and informal care to independent living.

Click here for more information about Transition to Independent Living Allowance.