How to Get Involved in Beyond 18
If you have already taken part in the Beyond 18 study as part of Wave 1, we will be in touch soon to tell you what happens next and how you can complete Wave 2.
If you are new to our study it’s not too late to join in!
If you’re aged 16-19 (before June 2017) and you have spent time in foster care, residential care, lead tenant, permanent care or kinship care placements in Victoria, we still need your help! Read the info below, then go to the online survey to get started.
What is Beyond 18?
Beyond 18 is an exciting and important research project that seeks to improve the experience of young people leaving care.
The project is run by the Australian Institute of Family Studies and aims to find out about your experiences of Out of Home care and what life is like after you leave care.
The results will help the Victorian Government make positive changes for the future for young people in care. So please help us make a difference.
Why should I take part?
Beyond 18 is an opportunity for your voice to be heard. By taking part, you can help make a difference to the care system in Victoria.
- You’ll receive a $50 gift card for each survey you complete
- You’ll receive an extra $20 gift card each time you complete our optional follow-up telephone interview
Also, the study is the first of its kind, so you’ll be helping to make history!
What will I have to do?
What we ask you to do is:
- Complete an online survey. We might also ask you to complete another survey later this year. Each survey takes around 30-40 minutes to complete.
- Give us your contact information so we can stay in touch and let us know if your contact details change.
- Think about whether you might also want to take part in a follow-up telephone interview about some of the things you said in the survey — it’s optional and takes about 20 minutes.
Your privacy is important to us, and your personal information will always be kept private and secure. If you choose to take part in the study, the team will explain exactly how your privacy will be protected.
How do I get involved?
If you think you’re up for it, then we’d love to hear from you: go to the first online survey to get started. You can ask a support person to help you do the survey, if you like.
If you want to participate in Beyond 18, but you’d prefer to complete the survey over the phone, in person, or in paper format then please contact the research team and let them know — they can arrange this for you. Ask for Stewart or Sam:
1800 352 275 (local call, higher charges from mobile phones)